Enjoy asparagus at it’s peak freshness this spring by shaving it thin and eating it raw! Add in some feta, pistachios, chewy farro, jammy eggs, and a spicy herb sauce for a perfect side for your next potluck!
- Look for large and thick asparagus, thin asparagus is very difficult if not impossible to shave thinly.
Serves 6 as a side
For the spicy herb sauce
- ½ cup rough chopped cilantro
- ½ cup rough chopped mint
- ½ jalapeno
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup olive oil
For the salad
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup pearled farro
- 1 bunch thick asparagus
- 2 cups arugula
- ¼ cup pistachios
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Feta, for topping
First, make the spicy herb sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Then, prep the eggs and farro
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Gently add the eggs and cook for 7 minutes.
- While the eggs cook, prepare a bowl filled with ice water.
- When the eggs are ready, remove them (don’t drain the water) and immediately place in the ice water bath. Set aside.
- Return the water to a boil and add a generous amount of salt.
- Add the farro to the pot and cook until tender but still a bit chewy, about 10-15 minutes for pearled farro (unpearled will take quite a bit longer).
- Drain and set aside to cool.
Then, prep and assemble the salad
- Cut off the tough end of the asparagus with a knife.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus into thin ribbons. Place the ribbons in a large bowl.
- Add the arugula, pistachios, and cooled farro to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Add enough olive oil to lightly coat all of the ingredients, along with the juice of 1 lemon, and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully peel the eggs and cut them in half. Place on the top of the salad.
- Top everything with a drizzle of the spicy herb sauce and crumbled feta cheese.