with avocado and focaccia croutons
Here’s my philosophy on salads: If you are going to eat a salad for dinner, put some fat and carbs in it! Fat is delicious and satiating and ensures you aren’t hungry again in an hour, and this salad has creamy avocado and decadent homemade caesar dressing (hail to the anchovy!). Crispy crunchy croutons add texture and the roasted mushrooms add extra umami. It’s still a bowl of vitamin rich vegetables, just a little more fun. What isn’t to love?
- I have linked to the Caesar dressing from Salt Fat Acid Heat, which is my absolute favorite. That recipe will make MUCH more than you need for these two servings. Personally, I like to make it in bulk for salads throughout the week. You can certainly half or quarter the recipe if needed. But one thing is for certain: don’t skimp on the anchovies!
- You can certainly use another type of mushroom if you can’t find oyster, just know that cooking times will vary. Trust your senses and taste if you are unsure.
- 1 5×4 piece of focaccia, about 3.5-4 oz
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil, separated
- 6 oz oyster mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3.5 oz baby kale, about 3-4 cups
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan (omit for vegan)
- 3-4 tbsp homemade caesar dressing or vegan caesar dressing
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the focaccia into 1 inch squares.
- Coat the bread in olive oil (about 1-2 tbsp) and season generously with salt.
- Place on a baking tray and bake until crisped and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. You can certainly go darker here, but I prefer my croutons to still be slightly soft in the center.
- While the croutons roast, separate the oyster mushrooms into bite size pieces (using a knife or just your hands to tear apart).
- Place the mushrooms and garlic on a baking tray and coat with olive oil (about 1-2 tbsp). Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake until browned but still tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven add the parsley to the pan and stir.
- Place the kale, parmesan, and croutons in a large mixing bowl. Add dressing (starting with 2 tbsp and adding more as needed) and mix to combine.
- Separate into two bowls and top with sliced avocado and roasted mushrooms.
This looks so beautiful!