Can salads be sexy? I think so! Especially when they are drizzled with this ultra creamy roasted garlic dressing. Fresh sprouts, peppery arugula, crunchy radishes and sunflower seeds, and salted tomatoes – I don’t want to use the word “perfect” here, but it’s pretty close.
- Start the garlic early. It takes about 45 minutes to roast, and you’ll want to factor in at least 20 minutes of cooling time.
For the roasted garlic dressing
- 1 head garlic
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise or veganaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp diamond kosher salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
For the sprout salad
- 1 cup cherry tomato quarters
- 2.5 cups arugula
- 1 cup sprouts of choice (pea shoots or sunflower sprouts work great)
- 1 cup microgreens (or extra arugula and sprouts)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a knife to chop the top ¾ inch of the head of garlic off, revealing the cloves inside.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the garlic, then wrap completely in tin foil.
- Place wrapped garlic in the oven (directly on a rack is fine) and roast until very soft and browned, about 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool until manageable to touch.
- Use your hands to squeeze the garlic flesh into a food processor or blender. The garlic should be very soft and come out easily.
- Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, dijon mustard and blend to combine.
- Taste and add salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning as needed.
For the salad
- Generously salt the cherry tomato halves and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a salad bowl, combine the rest of the salad ingredients and stir to toss.
- The cherry tomatoes should release a good amount of liquid. Drain the liquid into your salad dressing and stir to combine. Add the drained cherry tomatoes to the salad bowl.
- Add dressing (starting with ½) to salad and toss to combine. Add more dressing if desired.