Even though I have more time these days, I still hate cooking in the morning. Who wants to do dishes before 9 am? I’ve also always been team savory over sweet in the AM, so the options for make ahead or low effort dishes are limited. Enter, this make ahead egg salad with furikake. Make it on sunday, and spread onto toast throughout the week for an instant savory and satiating meal. The secret? Chopped sauerkraut or kimchi– it adds a salty, briny, punch that’s just peeeerfect.
Makes 4-5 servings if eating on toast
- 6 eggs
- 4 tbs mayonnaise
- 2 tbs mustard
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- 1/4 cup scallions, minced
- 1/8-1/4 cup sauerkraut or kimchi, chopped. If you want to go light on the mayo, you can also add a splash of the kraut brine.
- Salt, pepper, and chili to taste.
- Furikake for topping.
- Put eggs in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. As soon as the water boils, cover, turn off the heat, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove eggs from the pot and shock in a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes
- Carefully peel and chop eggs and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix until combined. Taste and add salt, pepper, and chili to your liking.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use. Spread on toast and top with lots of furikake and a drizzle of olive oil.